Pope Francis’ Brenna Sears put on a show in the girls one-mile run, finishing the day as the only Western Massachusetts to claim a state title during the Division V Track & Field state championships.
Sears won the event by over a second, finishing first in a time of 5:13.14. Alice Culver of Lenox, meanwhile, took third in a time of 5:15.19.
Sears and Culver had the top finishes on the first day of the meet as well, with both picking up second-place finishes in distance events.
Sears also took part in the Cardinals’ 5th-place finish in the 4×400-meter relay. Pope Francis finished in a time of 4:13.76 with Norah Walsh, Stephanie Cesar, Sears and Maeve O’Sullivan running the relay.
The Lenox boys also had a strong performance in the one-mile run, with Dennis Love taking second in a time of 4:24.59. he was one of four Millionaires to race in the event, with Max Adam finishing 12th (4:32.23).
On the field side of the event, Pittsfield’s Owen Klatka took third in the boys high jump. He reached 6-0 on his first attempt to earn the top-three finish.
Paced by Sears, the Pope Francis girls had the highest Western Mass. team finish of the event, taking 11th.
Western Mass. Results
Boys High Jump
- Owen Klatka, Pittsfield (3rd — 6-0)
Girls High Jump
- Sophia Schnackenberg, Lenox (14th — 4-10)
- Grace Ungewitter, Pittsfield (17th — 85-08)
- Peter Elias, Belchertown (18th — 134-01)
Boys 1-Mile Run
- Dennis Love, Lenox (2nd — 4:24.59)
- Max Adam, Lenox (12th — 4:32.23)
- Benjamin Harwood, Lenox (23rd — 4:45.69)
- Cormac Mathews, Lenox (24th — 4:45 98)
- Seth Aitken, Pittsfield (29th — 5:00.12)
Girls 1-Mile Run
- Brenna Sears, Pope Francis (1st — 5:13.14)
- Alice Culver, Lenox (3rd — 5:15.19)
- Jessica Kenyon, Pope Francis (10th — 5:28.49)
Boys 400-Meter Dash
- Ian Bridges, Lenox (7th — 51.36)
Girls 400-Meter Dash
- Maeve O’Sullivan, Pope Francis (10th — 1:00.62)
- Savannah Reber, Lenox (17th — 1:02.91)
- Natalie Shaw, Belchertown (24th — 1:03.83)
Boys 100-Meter Dash
- Aidan Clancy, Belchertown (6th — 11.23)
Boys 4×800-Meter Relay
- Lenox (11th — 8:49.97)
- Belchertown (13th — 9:11.62)
Girls 4×800-Meter Relay
Boys 4×100-Meter Relay
- Pittsfield (12th — 44.88)
Boys 4×400-Meter Relay
- Pope Francis (20th — 3:53.04)
- Belchertown (22nd — 4:00.23)
- Lenox (23rd — 4:01.46)
Girls 4×400-Meter Relay
- Pope Francis (5th — 4:13.76)
- Lenox (12th — 4:24.50)
- Belchertown (13th — 4:26.91)
Boys Team Results
- Lenox — 14th
- Pittsfield — 27th
- Belchertown — 32nd
Girls Team Results
- Pope Francis — 11th
- Lenox — 17th
- Belchertown — 33rd