3 seventh graders in Hartford hospitalized after ingesting suspected fentanyl | News


300*600 2

HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) – Three seventh graders from Hartford were rushed to the hospital after apparently overdosing at school Thursday.

It happened at the Sports and Medical Sciences Academy on Huyshope Avenue around 10:45 a.m.

Hartford firefighters said they received a report that three students overdosed at the school.

One of the students was unconscious. 

“Initial reports indicate that CPR was initiated by the school nurse on one student and HFD personnel took over performing CPR until relieved by responding medics,” said Mario Oquendo Jr., public information officer, Hartford Fire Department. “Rhythm returned for that student and CPR was stopped.”

Oquendo said all three students were transported to the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center.

One of the students, a 13-year-old boy, is in grave condition.

Two of the students only complained of dizziness, according to police, and are being monitored at the hospital. Family members were notified.

A teacher was also transported to Hartford Hospital as a precaution.

Hartford police and firefighters said they responded to the Sports and Medical Sciences Academy on Huyshope Avenue on Thursday morning.

Mayor Luke Bronin said multiple bags of what’s believed to be fentanyl were found in the gym area of the school. 

Investigators found an additional number of packages in two of the classrooms.

“This is one more lesson that fentanyl is a poison, these drugs are a poison. Please, if you are a parent, have that tough conversation with your child tonight. If anyone offers, suggests, that they experiment with, ingest some substance that they think is a drug, they don’t know what it is, don’t do it, stay a mile away, and for God’s sake, please report it so we can try to protect your child, their friends, everything,” Bronin said.

A soft-lockdown was put in place, but has since been lifted. Authorities still remain on scene.

The school’s crisis team has been deployed.

Police are now looking for whoever brought the substance to the school. No arrests have been made yet.

Copyright 2022 Gray Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Get the latest updates and local news here