Springfield traffic stop for fake plate leads to discovery of illegal gun
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A driver in Springfield was arrested after a traffic stop led to the seizure of an illegal firearm Thursday.
According to Springfield Police Department Spokesperson Ryan Walsh, at around 4:40 p.m. officers conducted a traffic stop near the intersection of Wilbraham Road and Colton Street after observing a car with a paper temporary license plate which was not registered with the RMV.
The driver, later identified as 35-year-old Luis Torres-Serrano, did not have a driver’s license and was placed under arrest. Torres-Serrano then told police he had a firearm in his pocket, which was seized along with two bags of cocaine.
Luis Torres-Serrano of Springfield is charged with the following:
- Carrying a Loaded Firearm without a License
- Carrying a Firearm without a License
- RMV Document Forge/Misuse
- Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- Unregistered Motor Vehicle
- Number Plate Violation to Conceal ID
- Uninsured Motor Vehicle
- Possession of a Class B Drug